Starting from the well-known themes of skill-gaps, opportunity-gaps and education-gaps between genders, races, ethnic or religious groups, we encourage the machine learning community to come forward with solutions to the major divides which stand in the way of shared human progress and prosperity.
*AAI=Automation and Artificial Intelligence
Find below a list of directions, presented as a example, of the principles that should guide the development of *AAI technologies for the shared benefit of humankind.
- How do you think AAI* technology can be use to tackle the health issues that direct and disproportionately disadvantage women, such as the HPV epidemic?
- Concretely, how would you deploy AAI* to facilitate logistics and deployment of UN humanitarian efforts, such as the Ebola containment efforts in the DR Congo?
- The first step towards creating AAI* implementations and technology that are not biases is to make sure that we ourselves, as designers, are not biased.
Would you be willing to publish, in blind, the results of a test on bias?
- Now for the elephant in the room:
Do you think using super-human* computational powers (like big data systems, machine learning systems) for the purpose of targeting commercial and political messages is ethical?
Isn’t that much like hunting deer with an assault rifle?
*super-human – they clearly exceed human horizon of ability in at least one respect (storage capacity, counting speed, speed of performing arithmetic-and-logic operations)
- How can AAI* help close the many skill-gaps that plague our society? One example being the skill-gap across gender lines.
More generally, how can automation and artificial intelligence help retrain those who want to work and have to work, but no longer have the necessary skill-set for the digital economy?
- Traditionally, religion has a big role to play in regards to teaching the population the management of hygiene. While in pre-industrial times this involvement was imperative, one of its consequences is that it left people contended with habits and practices which no longer correspond to the current understanding of society.
This effect disproportionately impacts women, as improper hygiene practices reduce changes at health, productivity and happiness long-term.
How can AAI* help us seek global optimae** in regards to our health and hygiene, without discrimination, without the limitations and the walls imposed by culture and religion?
We hope that our thoughts and actions on these matters may positively influence the time you dedicate professionally to understanding this imminent opportunities and threats.
Looking forward to hear from you.